- Your dog must pass a behavior evaluation.
- We prefer that dogs be spayed/neutered. They should be up to date on vaccines and in good health. You must be ready to show vet records.
Please save and complete this form, and email it along with photos of your pet to Sanchez@hopalong.org once we receive this information we will contact you regarding your pet’s possibility of entering our program.
We require a donation to surrender a dog.
- Hopalong is not accepting cats from the public at this time
- Hopalong cannot take in lost/stray animals.
- If you found a lost/stray animal, it is very important not to assume anything about him. Put aside your preconceived notions about who loses animals and remember that someone may be looking for that guy.
- Legally, you must attempt to find a dog’s owner and it’s good practice with cats. If you choose to, your local animal shelter is required to take in stray animals and will have procedures in place to hold the animals for a set amount of time for an owner to find them.
- If you choose to hold on to the animal until his owner is found, you must do everything you can to find his owner. First, contact your local animal shelter and fill out a “Found Report” describing the animal. Second, make sure to have the animal scanned for a microchip, either at the shelter or at a local vet. You should also post flyers in the area where you found the dog describing the dog and including your contact information. It is a good idea to post an ad on Craigslist, as well.
- You cannot rehome an animal or alter him in anyway (including neutering him or microchipping him) until the stray period ends and he becomes legally yours, which is usually 30 days after you tell animal control that you have found him. Animal Control can answer more questions about this.
- Checklist of Documents for Pet Ownership
- Chemicals And Allergen Safety for Pets
- Long Distance Travel with Your Dog or Cat
- Reading the Body Language of Dogs
- Understanding Cat Expressions
Berkeley Animal Care Services
1 Bolivar Dr., Berkeley, CA 94710
Oakland Animal Services
1101 29th Ave. Oakland, CA 94601
Tri-City Animal Shelter
1950 Stevenson Blvd.
Fremont, CA 94538
Contra Costa Animal Services
In Martinez: 4800 Imhoff Place Martinez, CA 94553
In Pinole: 910 San Pablo Avenue, Pinole, CA 94564
City of Alameda
Friends of Alameda Animal Shelter
1590 Fortman Way, Alameda, CA 94501
The Marin Humane Society/Animal Control
171 Bel Marin Keys Blvd., Novato, CA 94949
San Francisco Animal Care & Control
1200 15th St., San Francisco, CA